Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Introduction to a Dog Lover

Hi everyone! My name is Amanda Trammell.

- This is my second year here at OU and I am a Human Relations major with a Nonprofit Organizational Studies minor.  I would have to say the coolest thing about my major is learning new techniques and skills to reach different groups of people like never before!

- When it comes to my career path and what I would like to do in the future, I don't have it quite figured out, but I do have some ideas. I would like to use my degree and work for an organization or company that helps young women and children in a positive way.  I was and still am a Girl Scout, so I think working for them would be great. In addition, I think it would be interesting to work at a children's shelter where foster children have to live. I guess I would have to say that my big dream goal someday would be to possibly open up my own shelter or to run one completely. But as for right now, I plan on volunteering when I can and learning more about job opportunities and what types of jobs are out there for me.

- I would have to say my best class that I took last semester was my Intro to Human Relations class, because it was my very first "major" class that I took and I absolutely loved it and the professor that taught it. It definitely opened my eyes to the many different people and their opinions that we have on OU's campus. In addition, I would say my "accomplishments" last semester would be that I tried to get more involved on campus by joining two clubs that deal with my major/minor or are of some interest to me. I learned over the course of my freshman year that to really enjoy college you need to get involved!

- Over Christmas Break, I had a lot of family time. Whether that was with my parents and dogs at home, my boyfriend's family, my church family, or with some of my extended family. I didn't do a whole lot of crazy stuff, but I did have a few fun things I got to do. First, my church youth group had a lock-in at the church on New Year's Eve. I had the great privilege to stay up all night and chaperon young high schoolers while they played high and seek in the dark and played other board games.  Second, I got the chance to see one of my cousin's who lives out of state a couple of times. It was really nice to catch up with him. Lastly, I had the chance to go to Texas to see more family and attended my cousin's baby shower! It was wonderful!

Personal photo of my boyfriend and I at the church lock-in around 5:30 a.m.; photo from January 2016.
Personal photo of my cousins and I when I got to see Dan (left) for the first time in over a year; photo from January 2016.
Personal photo of my cousins and I at my cousin's baby shower; photo from January 2016.

- I would have to say some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games, Insurgent, Delirium...anything that is "dystopian" genre and is in a series. I like all sorts of movies, as long as they aren't scary and they have a good story line or they are funny. However, I don't usually watch a whole lot of movies. Instead I watch Netflix. Some shows that I have watched so far are Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, House, Breaking Bad, and I'm currently watching Switched at Birth. I guess I would have to the best movie I have seen recently would be Pan or The Maze Runner.

- I like most types of music, as long as it isn't screamo or really heavy rock. I typically listen to easy-listening or "feel good" music. I really like NeedToBreathe and band that sound similar to that.

-I have six dogs back at home who are basically like my brothers and sisters. I just love them so much! I have 3 chihuahuas, a German Shepard, a bull mastiff/hound mix, and then a stray dog that I really don't know what he is!
 Personal photo of my 3 chihuahuas, bull mastiff as a puppy, and my German Shepard; photo from December 2014.
 Personal photo of my bull mastiff mix after he tore up his bed. Dog shaming at its best; photo from December 2015. 
Personal photo of two of my chihuahuas and I. Roxy (left), Scooby (right), and their offspring (middle); photo from January 2016.

- Like I mentioned in a previous blog post, Just a few of....My Favorite Places, I have three very different places that I just love so much.

- I would have to definitely say that my most favorite type of food is Mexican food. I love, love, love chips and salsa. Second would have to be Italian food. I would say my least favorite types would be any type of Asian food. Also, my favorite thing to cook from scratch would have to be my grandma's homemade mac and cheese, it's so good (and cheesy)! Some other weird foods that I like that not many people do would be mushrooms and cottage cheese (not together of course!).

- I feel like since I came to college, I don't have as many hobbies as I used to. I like to read when I have the time (like on breaks), I like to watch a new series on Netflix, I like to craft and attempt to complete Pinterest projects, and I like being outside when I can. If I had more time, I would definitely read more and I would try to be even more active outside like do some hiking.

- Last but not least, if I had one day for "fun" I would want to go on a road trip with some friends and enjoy the day together adventuring.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, my name is Matty Williams and I am a public relations major. It was so much fun getting to learn about you. Your Christmas break sounded like a blast! I can’t believe you have six dogs! That’s crazy! I loved the Hunger Games series as well. They are some of my favorite books and movies. I hope you are having a great semester and enjoying your human relations classes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was nice to read this and get to know you through this blog! My name is Cody Johnson and I am a Senior, also I major in Health & Exercise Science. I have not heard of someone having six dogs before, but that must be a lot of fun! Mexican food is always a great option to go with! I hope you had a great start to the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Amanda, my name is Macey! That’s so great that you have such a passion to help others and want to open up your own shelter when you get older. I hope that your HR and minor classes can help you to learn about non-profits and other jobs within your field that you find interesting! I am a dog person too so that’s awesome you have 6 dogs! I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    I think all of your goal are fantastic. That would be such an amazing experience to have your own shelter. You seem to really enjoy what you are doing, thats what really matters. It great you are involved on campus. It does really help to get to know different people and all the opportunities out there. One Tree Hill is one of my favorite shows as well. I would say I am also a dog person! I have a puppy but had to leaver her back home in Idaho. I miss her tons. We go on a lot of hikes together. Good luck with all your classes this semester!
    -Ashlie

    ReplyDelete