Thursday, January 21, 2016

Overview of my choice for Week 2 in the UnTextbook

My choice of readings for Week 2 will have to be Myth-Folklore Unit: Bible Women. This particular topic caught my attention because I am really interested in learning more about the Bible and the characters that are presented in it. Also, I feel like reading and learning about these women will give me important Bible knowledge that I did not know previously. Lastly, being a Christian, I feel like it's sometimes "expected" of me to know all of the people in the Bible. However, in reality it's hard to keep up with all of the characters. I feel that these readings will be very beneficial to me for multiple reasons.  

While looking through the UnTextbook, I found a few other readings that stuck out to me as well.
The first one was  Myth-Folklore Unit: Nursery Rhymes. This one stood out to me almost immediately, due to the fact that a previous assignment had the option of choosing a nursery rhyme (which I did) to create our own story. While reading through those for that assignment, there were quite a few that I had never heard of and also some that I had completely forgotten about. I think that aspect is what caught my attention the most and makes me want to read some more of the rhymes; enjoying looking through them to refresh my memory or even allow me to learn some new ones as well. Also, when it comes to this unit in particular, I have heard so many of these rhymes and different versions of them, it'll be so cool to connect all of those and actually read the correct wording for the different nursery rhymes. The next reading that stuck out to me was Myth-Folklore Unit: Noah and the Ark.  I like this unit, because while reading the  overview of what it would discuss is stuff both biblical, but also "legends" from people. I haven't really had the chance to read legends, stories, etc. that (could) go "side-by-side" with the Bible. I especially am anxious to see how much of the information presented is similar to the Biblical story or if I learn new things I had not noticed before. Also, another reading that stuck out to me was Myth-Folklore Unit: Alice in Wonderland. This story was another that caught my attention fairly quickly. I guess I hadn't thought about Alice in Wonderland being considered a legend, fable, myth, etc. Of course I've heard the story tons of times, but this particular section of reading will be interesting to see how much of the story is actually left out from the different movies and plays that have been made from this story, or if they keep the information consistent throughout all of them.  Lastly, one more reading that stuck out to me was Myth-Folklore Unit: Adam and Eve. Like I mentioned before, I am super excited to read more about Biblical stories and their characters. Although most Biblical stories I should be familiar with, I know there is still so much information that I can't remember or haven't looked up or read myself.  I feel that these units are especially interesting to me, because I find them important in my life and I want to read and learn even more about them. 

I decided to go with a picture from the Noah's Ark Unit. I chose this picture because of the different colors it shows, how many people it shows working on the Ark, and also the location of the Ark being built. All of these things create an interest in me even more so to read these stories in this unit. 

Photo of Noah and workers building the Ark, preparing for the flood. Source: Nuremberg Chronicle

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you want to read the Bible Women unit, Amanda! I had such a hard time deciding what women to include because of course that was also about deciding what women not to include. I am curious if the ones I have ended up with are the women who come to mind when you think about Bible women! Their stories are really exciting, and so different from one another. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete