Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Three Storybook Favorites

After looking through the long lists of Storybooks, I found three that truly stuck out to me and caught my attention. The first one was Biblical Bad Girls (link is https://sites.google.com/site/biblicalbadgirls/intro/home). I found this one pretty interesting because I feel like the Bible is such an interesting topic. When I saw this title and read the Introduction, I realized that I had heard of the characters mentioned multiple times. Taking this into consideration, I would definitely think this topic is very familiar to me due to the reading and lessons I have done and heard from the Bible throughout the years. However, I feel that this specific “story” will still allow my imagination to grow and give me a new perspective on these well-known Biblical stories. Also, I would have to say that the title for this Storybook is perfect for this topic and it made me immediately think of some of the characters that the author actually used. Once I read the Introduction, I do believe the author does a great job explaining what the Story will be about, while also catching my attention enough to read. I think the author’s style of introducing the topic is great as well. She does a great job of not giving away too much information, while also presenting a question about these Biblical women that make you want to learn more. When first looking at the Introduction page’s design, it does catch my attention, because of the color mainly. It’s bright enough to highlight the words, but not too bright where it makes it hard to read. In addition, while the design is kind of simple, I think it still goes well with the topic. However, I think if the author would make it less “sweet” and more “edgy” I think it would have matched the topic a little bit better. One thing that I do like with this Introduction is the solid color background for the words and a picture/image behind that. It makes it easy to read, while also giving it some “flare”. Lastly, I think the author does a great job of making the titles of each section easy to understand what is under them, which I believe is important and I hope to do in my own Storybook.

The second Storybook that I enjoyed was the Tragically Ever After (link is https://sites.google.com/site/tragicallyeverafter/home). I would definitely have to say that this topic is something familiar to me due to the fact that I grew up watching Disney Princess movies and knew their stories forwards and backwards. However, I would have to say that this take on the topic is one that I have never heard. In addition, I would have to say that the author does a great job of catching my attention, while also letting me know what the topic is possibility going to be about. Reading through the Introduction, I would have to say it does do a great job of explaining the topic, plus it also makes me want to read the stories almost immediately just to figured out what happens after “happily ever after”. One aspect that I noticed about this introduction is how the author catches your attention immediately with questions, making you want to continue to read on to “find the answer”. I would have to say, that I do wish this intro was a little more eye-catching color wise, but I do like how the author spaces out the words where it looks even and organized, which is something I really want to try to use for my Storybook. I think the best part of the design is the titles of each section, because it gives you a good idea as to what will be talked under that tab. I do wish the colors and pictures would have been more eye-catching though, because I think that would have made this Storybook even better.

Lastly, one other Storybook that stood out to me was Murders in the Bible (link is https://sites.google.com/site/murdersinthebible/home). This topic is one that I would have to say is familiar to me, but it is definitely not something that I have really thought about much. Also, when I first read the title, it wasn't exactly what it turned out to be. I expected it to express the stories in the Bible where people died, etc., but it actually is a story where someone is making his goal in life to complete Exodus 21:2. This Introduction was probably one of my most favorite, just because of the Biblical background it gives, but also because it is very mysterious about the stories it is introducing. One thing that this Introduction does, is it really tries to connect the topic and it’s design, like the type of font, pictures, and colors the author uses. I would have to say, because of these aspects, this Introduction makes me know what I’m getting myself into. I know the stories are going to be meant to be “spooky” or “scary”, definitely backing up the “murder” wording in the title. For the overall design of this Introduction, I think the author does a great job. I think the images, colors, and fonts are appropriate and the tabs are simple but give you exactly the main idea behind each of the stories. For my own Storybook, I hope I can make my topic and design flow and connection as well as this author did for her Storybook, because I think she did a great job.

Imagine used to give reader a "first glance" of what the story (Murders in the Bible) will be about. Source: Simon Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment